The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.
Eligible employees are entitled to:
12 workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
- the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
- the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
- to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
- a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
- any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty” or 26 workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the service member’s spouse, son, daughter, parent or next of kin (military caregiver leave).
To request leave from Kent County Public Schools under the FMLA, the following forms will need to be completed and returned to the Office of Human Resources for processing:
Requesting Leave for a Personal Health Condition
Requesting Leave to Care for a Family Member
Leave Without Pay
It is the responsibility of the employee to make the necessary arrangements to cover the cost of all benefits outlined in the FMLA Benefit Contribution Form (above) as well as informing Maryland State Retirement and Pension System of a period of leave without pay.
Returning to Work