The Board of Education appreciates your interest in serving as a substitute in Kent County Public Schools. As a substitute, you will be replacing a permanent employee on a daily, on-call basis.
Requirements for being a substitute:
• Be at least 18 years old to substitute in our elementary or middle schools and 21 years old to substitute in the high school.
• Have a high school diploma or GED.
Steps to becoming a substitute:
1. Decide what type of substitute you want to become. You can be a substitute in a variety of areas, depending upon your qualifications. To become a substitute teacher or paraprofessional you must attend a half-day of observation.
2. Get fingerprinted for a criminal background check. Call the Office of Human Resources at 410-778-7140 or 410-778-3644 to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted for a criminal background investigation. Fingerprinting is done at the Kent County Public Schools Central Office: 5608 Boundary Ave., Rock Hall. There is a fingerprint charge of $30.
What should I bring when I come for my fingerprint appointment? The day of your appointment you will need to bring:
• Payment for your fingerprint fee in the form of a check or money order. No cash please.
• A valid driver's license.
• A completed substitute employment application — including a copy of your transcripts or degree, if you hold a bachelor's degree or higher — and a voided check for direct deposit.
Your picture will be taken this day for an identification badge. Please come prepared.
3. Attend the substitute orientation class. Call Human Resources at 410-778-7140 or 410-778-3644 to schedule your attendance at the next substitute orientation class.
Substitute teacher training covers the following:
• Equal employment opportunity
• Substitutes are important
• Roles and responsibilities of the substitute teacher
• Classroom management and discipline
• Need assistance, who do you ask?
• The daily routine
• Substitute teacher notification procedure – FrontLine
You do not need to attend the substitute orientation class if:
• You hold a valid standard teaching certificate from any state and have been in the classroom within the last five years or you hold a bachelor's degree or higher in education and have completed the student teaching requirements within the last five years.
• If you are being placed in a long-term substituting assignment.
Substitute pay rates:
• Substitute Food Services $8.65/hour
• Substitute Custodian $9.46/hour
• Substitute Paraprofessional $68/day
• Substitute Registered Nurse $105/day
• Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Non-Degree) $83/day
• Substitute Teacher (Non-degree) $75/day
• Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Degree) $102/day
• Substitute Teacher (Degree) $88/day
• Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Certified) $120/day
• Substitute Teacher (Certified) $100/day